Sunday, January 14

Steve's sojourn

"Just arrived and am at e airport", the SMS came while I was trying to wrap up and have an early evening at work. I quickly texted Steve back asking him to take a train to Bugis where I would meet him.

All excited, and half hoping that Steve's arrival would somehow miraculously end the mad avalanche of cloudburst which has hyjacked Singapore for the past month or so, I bravely step out of office with equipped umbrella, to catch the train.

I am almost at Bugis when Steve texts enquiring if he is in the right direction after having passed Expo station twice! Half-annoyed that I couldnt pick him up from the airport myself - I ask him to get out of the train and text me which station he is on for me to come and pick him up.

No response from him....After 5 mins, abandoning Bugis, I am on my way to the airport. Still no message frm Steve. Finally, I managed to get his text which read, "Sorry was on my iPOD so missed your message." Show off!

I am reminded of how I had wanted to get one for myself but kept waiting for a much more respectable version of gizmo defining the current generation. Earlier this year, I had made up my mind to quit the wait and get one for myself by the first quarter. I even set aside a budget for it ......when Jobs decides to screw my plans again! Why should be come up with an iPhone now?! Now I am torn between getting an iPOD and the latest fashion accessory - an iPhone which probably has everything that one needs, but, I think I will wait for a better version of it that spits out as money as it costs.

With a mere 10 or so, more text messages exchanged between us, Steve and I manage to overcome the minor miscommunication and finally meet. The confusion didnt end there though...once I saw Steve waiting for me on the other side of the platform we had decided on meeting ..I waved and waved and waved and with all the excitement mimed that I would meet him at his platform. I got there only to find him on mine!

Phew!

Anyhow, it was such a delight to meet him after almost 4 years! We were esctatic to find out from each other how much more younger we looked after all these years! Mind you, Steve is soon turning 50 again and didnt appreciate being called a baby-boomer.

The modest hotel I had recommeneded had this lady at the reception whose first question was, "So whats your budget like?" She was probably new. Her kind and generous gesture couldnt be missed.

The room was cosy and surprisingly had most appliances in working condition. We had a quick dinner and visited a local bar where Steve found everybody anorexic. I left him to that.

We decide to meet again the next morning. It dawns at 11:30 for us. Steve announces his new dietary regime of skipping lunch and his craving for freshly brewed coffee.

I take him to an Indian restaurant where the coffee was ridiculed and Steve claimed it to be a 'Nescafe'.I shamelessly hog whilst he watches me sipping on his accused hot-coffee-water. Later we get in and out of several shops to get his 4 item-long shopping list covered. After a solid 4 hours we managed to get our hands loaded with bags. Unsatisfied and the 4 items still left unpurchased, I begin to worry since Steve's flight back is early next day.

Steve still needs that coffee.

With only a few hours left, lady drizzle's grace, some arguments over how there were so many Matthew-look-alikes (Matthew is one of our friends) in the mall, a few phone calls made to confirm that Matthew is not indeed in Singapore and some confusion over credit cards, we equip ourselves and manage to find all the items in the list.

Content, Steve suggests we have that coffee. I am not surprised. I suggest pasta. With a freshly brewed coffee (much to Steve's contention, and mine - to have found the Coffebean that he has been looking for) and a couple of books that we picked at a store we get to the pasta place only to find it closed!

We get back to the cafe we were at first and enjoy the rest of the evening. Having chatted for a long time, sharing our memories of good old days over a few glasses of wine, somehow, the Queen become the subject of our conversation. She was quickly repalced by Hugo Chavez, followed by Gordon Brown...then Cherie Blair.

We questioned our sobriety and thought it was in our best interest to get some sleep before Steve catches his flight back. I promised Steve to be at the airport 5 in the morning. I get a call in the middle of the night. It was Steve calling from the airport just before boarding to say goodbye.

No comments: